A QUICK FOREWORD...

As with anything, I always recommend beginning at the beginning. However, in case you don't want to peruse my entries from the beginning (& hey, it's your loss), here's a quickie for you.


I basically like Twilight. I appreciate it for what it is, and recognize it's shortcomings. If you're a crazed Twi-fanatic, consider yourself warned.

Kristen Stewart is on my shortlist of favorite actors, and Robert Pattinson is not only gorgeous, he's talented too.

The cast in general blows my mind. Not for their acting skills (which are super sweet), but the fact that they are all so normal seeming. And they get along. No cat fights, no set drama. I'd love to see a remake of The Breakfast club with this cast, where they act as themselves. someone make that happen k thanks.

Stephenie Meyer, as a stay-at-home mom of multiple kids, wrote a book. She's kinda my hero. I want to do what she's done.

All opinions and thoughts are welcome here, so please feel free to speak your mind. :)

PS-I tend to go off on tangents like no one's business, and occasionally stray from what I really wanted to say. I'm also too impatient to go back and re-read what I've written to make sure it sounds right. I apologize for any ramblings, incoherence, and other minor transgressions I might make.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Movin' On Up

It's been a while since I've posted, and I'm sorry. Unfortunately, my real life is rather busy, leaving very little time for ruminating on all things Twilight. But since I've got a few minutes there are a few things I'd like to discuss.

(Insert quick daydream/thought of Mike Meyers on SNL-"Rhode Island...it's neither a road, nor an island...discuss.)

First of all, Chris Weitz. I have a feeling many of the uber-obsessed fans are going to start frothing at the mouth here, so if you're one of those, just leave now.

When I first heard that Chris was taking over for Catherine Hardewicke, I felt pretty much the same thing I do now. Great.

I think it's perfect. Twilight started small, cult-ish, a little unknown despite the die-hards who'd read the book. Catherine was on a shoestring budget, and made what I think was a decent film. Could it have been better? Sure. But it was good. And she came out with this magically perfect cast, whom I'll leave alone for the moment. Because I could totally go off on a really long tangent about the perfection of casting each member, and we all know I adore Billy Burke as Charlie, and Kristen, Rob, Nikki....like I said. We'll leave that alone. For now.

But then Chris Weitz comes along. A man I know only from his bit role as the Smith's neighbor in Mr. & Mrs. Smith. And he was cute. And forgetable, which anyone would be next to the smoldering chemistry brewing between Angelina and Brad. But I digress.

I had hoped that someone with skill in special effects would take over, seeing as how the wolf pack figures so prominently into the story, not to mention Bella's cliff-diving, Italy, ect. And the man is a pro at special effects.

And he has brought in actors I wouldn't even believe would go near a film with "screaming hordes of tween girls and cougars" written all over it. But the man has convinced some of the most amazing actors right now to join in, turning this romantic tween based film into something for the masses. Michael Sheen, fresh of the Oscar nom'd film Frost/Nixon?! I don't even want to know what all went into those negotiations, but I am STOKED!!! Bringing in actors like him, people Hollywood takes as "serious actors" will help all the haters realize that just because 12 year olds pass out while talking about Twilight doesn't mean it can't be a great film. And I think it will allow more people to realize how truly talented the lead actors are. Kristen and Rob are great actors, and while I did like the movie, I think Twilight may have been, to date, the worst showcasing of their respective talents.

When I say worst, I don't mean they did bad. Au contraire, they did great. They took two characters who could never exist in reality, and made them believeable. But they're so talented beyond what they can showcase by being Edward and Bella.

While you know I'm obsessed with the movie Into the Wild, where I first fell in love with Kristen Stewart, she's done so many other roles that are amazing. Speak literally took my breath away. She was in Kate Hudson's 16 minute short, Cutlass, and managed to bring a fully rounded character to life in a few short scenes. Ms. Hudson wrote and directed the short, and got her dad and Chevy Chase to take roles in it. I suggest heading over to YouTube and checking it out. By the way, Dakota Fanning was in that with her....a little foreshadowing anyone?

Last night I watched The Cake Eaters for the first time, a little indie film directed by Mary Stuart Masterson. Kristen played Georgia, a girl suffering from Freidrichs Ataxia, a neuro-muscular affliction causing her to shake constantly and slur her speech. Her heart could stop at any minute. She's 15, and wants to experience a normal life.

To Kristen's absolute credit, I did not ONCE feel sorry for Georgia. There was not a moment where I pitied her for her tragic life. She was just a girl trying to find out what it's all about. Absolutely brilliant!!! And I could go on forever....

So we've got Michael Sheen, and also Dakota Fanning, the most precoscious child star ever. That girl is amazing. She's so young, and so deep, and believable in her roles. I can't wait to see her evil side as Jane. I think the casting is absolutely perfect there. Then we've got Jamie Bower, fresh of another Oscar nom'd film, Sweeney Todd. And that kid who always scares the crap out of me, Cameron Bright, playing Jane's equally evil twin, Alec. Again, perfectly cast if you ask me.

There are so many more actors Chris has brought to the cast, and I'd love to talk about each of them, unfortunately my kids are already pulling me away from the computer. So I'll just sum it all up with this:

By bringing in actors with accepted Hollywood street-cred, so to speak, Chris Weitz has brought Twilight "out of the closet". He's topped what was already a great cake with a delicious icing. People who may have been ashamed to admit their Twi-love will no longer be afraid. The Twilight Saga has become mainstream, for good or bad, and opened doors to a whole new audience.

So thank you Chris Weitz, for doing a good job. And for not playing the media game quite as much as Catherine. As a fan, I loved all the info, but as a human, I feel for the lack of privacy the actors get, and I thank you for keeping at least some of their time free for things like, oh, I don't know....breathing?

3 comments:

Word Ninja said...

I felt the same way about Catherine, and being hesitant about Chris coming in, because I did love what she did with Twilight. But I felt New Moon should be bigger, flashier, grander somehow...and I think Chris can do that. I have to agree, that break-up scene, with Kristen & Rob doing what they do best, is going to be AMAZING! And I'm looking forward to seeing Jake and Bella interact. Taylor has done an amazing job physically stepping into the role, let's see what he can convince us of mentally. If his dedication to keeping the role is any indication, he'll do great!

Twilight Moonlighter said...

Stumbled upon you--
http://pillowbiters.blogspot.com/2009/05/more-manips-to-make-you-smile.html

Keep up the great work! :)

Word Ninja said...

Thank you! :)